Living up to my Twitter bio, I am a serial abandoner of blogs. My last blog was about documenting the trials and tribulations of studying at university as a mature student with a learning difficulty, and I was pretty happy with it but unfortunately the hosting company merged with another and it no longer became free. With yet another thing for me to factor into my budget, it fell by the wayside.
I intend to continue in the same vein, as I found it a useful tool with which to reflect upon and, subsequently, identify strengths and weaknesses. The feedback I got suggested others benefitted from it, too.
So, in a nutshell, two years ago whilst doing an access course, I screened positive for dyscalculia. The following year, at the start of a four year undergraduate Masters in Environmental Chemistry, an educational psychologist’s report confirmed that provisional diagnosis. Through delays with Student Finance England, support was not fully set up until the start of the final term of the year, by which time I had failed spectacularly. I am now coming to the end of my first term as a first year (again) Environmental Science student. I am still finding it incredibly challenging. Not so much the workload or the nature of the work, but more the constant battle with disorganisation and procrastination. Throw into the mix disordered sleep, distraction (right now I’m supposed to be writing an essay!), waning motivation and poor time management and you have the perfect recipe for one hell of an academic battle!
So that’s a bit of an intro post. Hopefully the rest will be a little more interesting.